Burns are a common type of injury that can occur due to various incidents, including fires, hot liquids, chemicals, electricity, and other accidents. The severity of a burn can vary from minor to life-threatening, depending on the extent and depth of tissue damage. Even minor burns can be painful, while more severe burns can result in permanent scarring, disfigurement, and even death.
Today, we’ll discuss the different types and degrees of burns, their causes, and how the Orlando personal injury lawyers at Purely Legal can help.
Common Causes of Burn Injuries
Burn injuries can occur in various ways, but some causes are more common than others.
Here are some of the most frequent causes of burn injuries:
- Fire and flames — Fires can happen in homes, buildings, and even after car accidents, causing severe burns.
- Scalds — Burns from hot liquids, such as coffee or soup, can cause serious burns, especially in young children and older adults.
- Chemical burns — Exposure to corrosive chemicals, such as acids or alkalis, can cause chemical burns.
- Electrical burns — Contact with electrical currents can cause serious burns and damage internal organs.
- Friction burns — Friction burns can occur from contact with a rough surface, such as pavement after a fall or motorcycle crash (i.e., road rash).
Symptoms and Complications of Burn Injuries
The symptoms of burns can vary depending on the severity of the burn.
Here are some common symptoms:
- First-degree burns — These are the mildest burns and typically result in redness, pain, and skin swelling. There may also be mild blistering.
- Second-degree burns — These burns are more severe and result in the same symptoms as first-degree burns, but with the addition of blistering and possible oozing.
- Third-degree burns — These are the most severe burns and can result in a loss of sensation in the burned area. The skin may be charred or appear white or blackened.
Complications of burn injuries can also vary depending on the severity of the burn.
Here are some common complications:
- Infection — Burned skin is susceptible to infection, which can spread quickly and cause serious complications.
- Scarring — Severe burns can cause permanent scarring and disfigurement.
- Respiratory problems — Inhalation of smoke or hot gasses can cause respiratory distress and lung damage.
- Shock — Severe burns can cause shock, a life-threatening condition that occurs when the body’s organs and tissues do not receive enough oxygen and nutrients.
- Emotional trauma — Burn injuries can cause emotional trauma and lead to anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
The Importance of Seeking Medical Attention
The importance of seeking medical attention following a burn injury cannot be overstated. Timely diagnosis and treatment can help prevent further complications, alleviate pain, and promote a faster recovery.
Additionally, medical documentation is crucial evidence in your personal injury claim, as it establishes a link between the incident and your injuries. This documentation can significantly impact the outcome of your case and the compensation you may receive for your injuries.
How a Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help You
A personal injury lawyer can provide invaluable assistance when dealing with injuries like burns by:
- Evaluating your case. A lawyer can assess the merits of your case, determine the potential compensation, and advise you on the best course of action.
- Gathering evidence. A lawyer can collect crucial evidence to support your claim, such as medical records, police reports, witness statements, and expert testimony.
- Negotiating with insurance companies. A skilled personal injury lawyer will negotiate with insurance companies, ensuring you receive a fair settlement for your injuries and losses.
- Representing you in court. If your case proceeds to trial, a personal injury lawyer will advocate for your best interests, presenting a compelling argument to obtain the maximum compensation for your injuries.
- Providing guidance and support. A personal injury lawyer will keep you informed throughout the entire process, addressing your concerns and answering any questions you may have.
By enlisting the help of a personal injury lawyer, you can focus on your recovery while they handle the legal complexities of your case, ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
Contact Purely Legal for a Free Consultation
Navigating your personal injury claim can be overwhelming if you’ve sustained burns due to an accident. At Purely Legal, we understand the challenges and complexities of burn injury claims, and our experienced team is here to provide you with the support and guidance you need.
We offer a free, no-obligation consultation to assess your case, answer your questions, and discuss the potential compensation that you may be entitled to. With our expertise, we’ll guide you through the legal process and work tirelessly to help you achieve the best possible outcome for your case.
Don’t go through this alone. Let Purely Legal help you get the compensation you deserve for your burn injury. Contact us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step toward a successful claim.