Motorcycle Accident Settlement Examples: What Riders Can Recover
Dealing with injuries, lost work, and mounting bills after a motorcycle accident is hard enough. But trying to get fair compensation from insurance companies can feel like an uphill battle. They don’t want to pay you what you truly deserve.
It may seem easiest to just take whatever settlement they first offer – but don’t sell yourself short! You have every right to be fully compensated for all that you’ve suffered. And you have more leverage than you think.
Checking out examples of what other injured riders have received can give you a ballpark idea of what typical motorcycle accident settlements look like based on the details of each case.
Understanding average settlement ranges puts more power in your hands when negotiating with insurers. With this knowledge, you can push for suitable reimbursement for expenses, pain and suffering, and lifestyle impact rather than settling for an insurance company’s lowball offer.
Key Factors That Determine Motorcycle Accident Settlements
So, what actually impacts how much your motorcycle accident settlement could be? What goes into determining fair compensation for your injuries and losses? Several key factors shape the potential claim value:
Negligence and Liability Are Key
The stronger your case is against the negligent driver, the more leverage you have to demand higher damages. If fault is disputed or unclear, lower settlements are likely. But when there’s rock-solid evidence of recklessness like drunk driving or texting, you can push for maximum compensation.
More Severe Injuries Mean Larger Payouts
It makes sense that catastrophic injuries like brain trauma, paralysis, or losing a limb would result in huge settlements, while minor sprains may be on the lower end. The type and permanence of the injury directly affect the value. The compensation you can receive for pain and suffering is also greater with severe, lasting medical conditions.
Lost Income Boosts Damages
If you can’t work for an extended period or cannot return to your chosen career after the crash, those lost wages will be included in the settlement. The more income and career advancement opportunities you lose, the higher your payout.
Extensive Medical Treatments Add Expenses
Hospital stays, procedures, therapy appointments, rehab, and medications contribute to stacking medical costs. Higher medical expenses justify increased compensation.
Example Settlement Ranges for Common Motorcycle Injuries
Examining average settlement amounts for common motorcycle collision injuries can provide an idea of potential case values:
- Road Rash and Minor Sprains – Abrasions and lacerations from road rash or minor muscle/ligament sprains may warrant settlements on the lower end, from $10,000 to $50,000. Factors like scarring, chronic pain, and recovery time impact specific settlement amounts.
- Broken Bones and Fractures – Less serious orthopedic injuries like broken arms or legs typically result in mid-range settlements between $25,000 and $150,000, depending on the bone affected, need for surgery, and healing time.
- Concussions – Traumatic brain injury settlements vary based on concussion severity and duration of symptoms like headaches, concentration issues, and dizziness. Payouts often fall between $75,000 to $250,000.
- Torn Joints and Ligaments – Damaged joints that require surgical repair, like torn rotator cuffs or ruptured knee ligaments, may warrant settlements ranging from $150,000 to $300,000, depending on the joint affected, the extent of the injury, and your recovery needs.
These settlement ranges illustrate how factors like injury type, treatment involved, and prognosis influence case values. An experienced personal injury attorney can assess your unique circumstances for a more accurate potential settlement estimate.
Increased Settlement Values for Catastrophic Injuries
When motorcycle accidents result in catastrophic injuries with lifelong implications, settlements, and court awards often reach into the millions of dollars. Some examples of severe injuries that may warrant seven-figure settlements or verdicts include:
- Traumatic brain injuries resulting in permanent cognitive impairment
- Spinal cord damage leading to paraplegia or quadriplegia
- Amputation of limbs
- Severe burns over large portions of the body
- Loss of vision or hearing
- Multiple orthopedic fractures requiring hardware and surgery
For younger victims, figures can be even higher given the decades of disability and care needs ahead of them. Settlements typically account for economic damages, like medical expenses and lost wages, and harder-to-quantify non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering.
While each motorcycle accident case outcome depends on unique facts, seriously injured motorcyclists have received million-dollar-plus results through successful claims when negligence caused their life-altering harm. An experienced personal injury law firm can evaluate your injury case and provide guidance on the potential value of your claim.
Why It Pays to Consult a Motorcycle Accident Attorney Immediately After a Motorcycle Crash
Seeking legal counsel promptly after a collision can make or break your injury claim. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney should be the first call after seeking medical help. Here’s why:
- Evidence preservation – Witness memories, skid marks, debris, and surveillance video critical to proving fault often disappear quickly. A skilled motorcycle accident lawyer immediately seeks to gather and document supporting evidence.
- Accident reconstruction – Specialists can analyze tire marks, damage, and more to recreate the crash and demonstrate negligence.
- Insurance claim handling – Dealing with adjusters and demanding sufficient compensation requires negotiation skills and experience. Your legal team handles this so you can focus on recovery.
- Finding all available coverage – Maximizing your settlement depends on tapping into all applicable insurance policies, including the driver’s, your own, umbrella plans, etc. An attorney thoroughly explores all options.
- Documenting damages – Keeping meticulous records of all medical costs, lost wages, and other expenses is vital to getting total compensation. Seasoned injury lawyers have proven systems for gathering and storing the necessary documentation.
- Strategic claim evaluation – Determining the optimal timing and approach for demanding or settling your motorcycle accident claim takes an objective legal eye. An attorney considers your needs, leverage points, and potential negotiated outcomes. If a fair settlement cannot be reached, an experienced lawyer will file a lawsuit to pursue compensation through litigation.
Consulting a skilled personal injury lawyer immediately starts the personal injury claim process on the right foot. Don’t leave money on the table – get legal advice when it matters most.
An Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Assess Your Potential Settlement Amount
The wide variance in motorcycle accident settlement amounts underscores the value of consulting an attorney if you or someone you care about suffered harm in a motorcycle crash.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can thoroughly evaluate the circumstances of your specific case to provide guidance on likely settlement or court award potential.
At Purely Legal, our case results speak for themselves. We’ve recovered millions in compensation for injury victims across the country. And while no amount of money can undo the damage inflicted in a serious accident, obtaining fair compensation allows you the financial means to access necessary medical treatment and rebuild your life.
If you have questions or need guidance regarding your options and legal rights after a collision, reach out today to request a free consultation.