How Much is My Personal Injury Claim Worth?
Personal injury claims can arise from many accidents and incidents, including car accidents, slip and fall accidents, medical malpractice, product liability, and work accidents. When you suffer injuries from any of these accidents, you may wonder about your personal injury claim value.
What your personal injury claim is worth depends on various factors, such as the type and severity of your injuries, the amount of medical expenses and lost wages incurred, and the pain and suffering you experienced.
We’ll discuss the factors determining the value of a personal injury claim, how insurance companies determine settlement offers, and how an Orlando personal injury lawyer can help.
Types of Personal Injury Claims
- Car accidents occur when a driver’s negligence causes an accident that injures other drivers or passengers.
- Slip and fall accidents occur when a property owner’s negligence causes injuries to a visitor.
- Medical malpractice occurs when a medical professional’s negligence causes injuries to a patient.
- Product liability occurs when a defective product causes injuries to a user.
- Work accidents occur when an employee suffers injuries on the job.
Determining the Value of a Personal Injury Claim
Various factors determine the value of a personal injury claim and, ultimately, the settlement you could be entitled to:
- Medical expenses include the costs of hospitalization, medical procedures, prescription medication, and physical therapy.
- Lost wages include the income lost due to missed workdays or the inability to return to work.
- Pain and suffering include the emotional and physical pain experienced due to the injuries.
- Future medical expenses include the costs of ongoing medical treatment and therapy required for the injuries sustained.
- The overall impact on the injured person’s life, including the ability to earn a living, reduced enjoyment in life, and loss of consortium.
Cases where catastrophic injury or wrongful death results from the incident often lead to much higher personal injury settlements. This is due to the increased weight of medical bills, financial losses, and other personal and emotional effects on the injured party and their family.
Proving Fault in a Personal Injury Claim
In a personal injury claim, the burden of proof lies with the plaintiff. With the help of your attorney, you must provide sufficient evidence to prove the defendant’s negligence caused your injuries.
Evidence may include:
- Witness statements
- Medical records
- Expert testimony
If it is determined that you shared some of the fault—or liability—for the accident, the final settlement amount may be reduced by their percentage of the fault.
How Insurance Companies Determine Personal Injury Claim Value
Insurance companies use various factors to determine the value of a personal injury claim, such as the severity of the injuries, the length of the recovery period, and your ability to return to work.
The at-fault party’s insurance provider may offer a settlement based on these factors, which you can accept or reject. If you reject the settlement offer, you may negotiate for a higher amount or take the case to court.
Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer
Hiring legal representation can significantly increase the value of your personal injury claim. A personal injury lawyer can provide legal guidance, negotiate with insurance companies on your behalf, and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries.
Additionally, personal injury lawyers have experience handling complex legal issues and can advise you on the best action for your situation. They can also handle communication with insurance companies, medical providers, and other parties involved in your case, freeing up your time to focus on your recovery.
Trusted Orlando Personal Injury Lawyers
The value of a personal injury claim depends on various factors, and the settlement you receive may depend heavily on those factors. Proving fault in a personal injury claim can be challenging, and insurance companies often use various tactics to pay you as little as possible for your injuries.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer can significantly increase the value of your claim and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries. If you have suffered injuries from an accident or other incident, it is essential to understand the factors that determine the value of a personal injury claim.
Contact us today at Purely Legal, and we’ll help you navigate the legal process and increase the likelihood of receiving fair compensation for your injuries.